What to look for in a Deuce

From: Paul A. Thomas (pt@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 20:40:08 PDT

I flirted with buying an old Deuce fire truck a year ago, and subscribed
here to get some idea of what I should be wary of/search for.
I didn't get the truck then, and now may have a chance to get an actual
cargo version ( M35A2(C)). Could I poll current users on their
thoughts?

1: I see mention of the front end: Air Shift? Whatever I end up with
will/should be
    6X6, thus I'm curious about the options available for the front
axle.
2: Do all cargo Deuce's come with a trailer hitch?
3: Most of the cargo trucks I worked on in the Army were the C variant,
drop side.
    Other than using it as a base for a float in a parade, why would I
want drop sides?
4: I remember reading here about axle conversion kits ( for all axles I
believe ),
     which allegedly got the top speed of the truck up to about 65
without damage
     to the drive train. Do I recall correctly? What cost is this type
of conversion?
5: How much help is the 'Air' seat? None of the trucks when I was in
had it
    ( 78-81 ). I remember putting dents in the hard tops from time to
time, and would
    sort of like to avoid that at my advanced age and condition. <g>
6: Can anybody point me toward a good site for getting tips on doing
body work,
    welding a plate in, etc. I've done bits and pieces in the Army and
would like to
    do some or most of my own work, but have holes in what I recall...
and also feel
    some things are done differently today.
7: Do people in Ca/Nv/Az ever just get together with their trucks for a
weekend
    rally/get together?
8: Roughly what does a set of batteries ( 4 as I recall ) run today?
9: Specific question: If I end up getting the fire truck, it has an
original Gas engine.
    It was running when driven in two years ago. Would I be best
advised to have
    the valve head replaced with 'hardened' ones as we no longer can get
leaded
    gas? Or would you just run it until it needed a rebuild then look
at it then?

Thank you for your ideas.

     Paul A. Thomas
     Bay Point, Ca