Re: [MV] M151 Carb

From: wwd@netheaven.com
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 07:36:45 PDT

In <list-1412684@skylee.com>, on 05/15/2002
   at 08:58 AM, "Winget, William A CONT JTFCS5G" <winget@jfcom.mil> said:

>Interestingly, they DO have various Main jets, as last night I took apart
>two others to find the best parts for the first one, and the Jets were
>numbered differently.

>Seems there was a jet # 28 in the first one, and two with # 30 jets in
>them. The Rebuild kit (complete version) has a # 30 in it as well, so
>maybe this is a MOD the Army did? Rejetting to a larger jet??

>So, still seeking an answer by someone that has rejetted one with good
>results.

>By the way, as the idle screw is tapered, I don't really want to drill
>it's hole out, as I think there may be a taper in the seat as well.
>Rebuild kit DOES have a new idle screw in it.

>Hoping that the primary problem on these is air leakage around the
>throttle shafts, and the seals provided in the kit will cure it.

>Suggestions accepted. Thanks

>A. Winget Virginia

Jet sizes are 'named' after the drill that drilled them, IIRC. Thus they
would be straight-shouldered and user-measurable. A good-sized collection
of wires of all sizes, drill sets and various guages should aid toward
identification. Drilling one out yourself will leave the jet 'raggedy'
which will impede flow slightly, but since it is now slightly bigger
perhaps it is a trade-off. Drilling is last resort to a thorough soaking
in carb cleaner and boring/burnishing. And there are a number of different
drill-size numbering systems in use worldwide. So best to try to actually
measure what you have.

Bill

--
wwd@netheaven.com  To the warriors go the spoils; to the hindmost .  .  the surplus.