UPDATE: Selling (WWII MB) Willys "L" Head Engine

From: cdavis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 12:17:40 PDT

Turns out I have an WWII MB engine, not an early CJ. Received the
following from a helpful list member:

"Chris
That number you found on the block 638632 shows that it is the correct
number for a MB engine block 639660 would be the head number for a MB
engine.

More information WILLYS in raised letters was added to head in mid 1943,
JEEP added in mid 1944.
Assembly date is steel stamped on pan surface at rear main bearing cap
showing month day and year of production.
At engine number MB288835 cylinder head cap screws were changed to studs
and nuts.
Bob"

(Thanks Bob)

And a member of www.G503.com helped out with the following:

"Chris,
you have a WWII MB Block...about early April 1943."

(Thanks Jim)

I also had the following question from Brian:

>"Chris, what are the dimensions of the machined boss ABOVE the water pump?
>and are there any #'s stamped there?
>(reply to list as it is good info for everyone to know)
>Brian"

Looks like the boss is about 2" across. It has a single letter stamped on
it "Z". That's it.

I added a photo to the ebay listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1828999893

So... looks like there is a genuine WWII MB motor with an incorrect, "CJ"
label on it. I've added to the description, but ebay won't let me change
the title once a bid has been placed.

Hope someone on the mailing list can use it.

Chris Davis