Re: [MV] What to look for in a Deuce

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 17:49:05 PDT

In a message dated 5/14/02 10:55:33 PM Central Standard Time,
pt@jaxkneppers.com writes:

<< I flirted with buying an old Deuce fire truck a year ago, and subscribed
 here to get some idea of what I should be wary of/search for.
 I didn't get the truck then, and now may have a chance to get an actual
 cargo version ( M35A2(C)). Could I poll current users on their
 thoughts?

 1: I see mention of the front end: Air Shift? Whatever I end up with
 will/should be
     6X6, thus I'm curious about the options available for the front
 axle.
EARLY VERSION'S HAVE THE FRONT AXLE DRIVE ENGAGED AUTOMATICALLY BY AN
OVERRUNNING CLUTCH. WITH PROPER MAINTENANCE, IT WORKS AS GOOD AS ANYTHING.
WITHOUT PROPER MAINTENANCE AND ADJUSTMENT, DON'T WORK SO GOOD. ALSO, IT IS
MORE SENSITIVE TO ABUSE DUE TO IMPROPER DRIVING TECHNIQUE THAN IS THE
AIR-SHIFT UNIT.
 2: Do all cargo Deuce's come with a trailer hitch?
YES
 3: Most of the cargo trucks I worked on in the Army were the C variant,
 drop side.
     Other than using it as a base for a float in a parade, why would I
 want drop sides? EASIER TO LOAD/UNLOAD WITH FORKLIFT.

 4: I remember reading here about axle conversion kits ( for all axles I
 believe ),
      which allegedly got the top speed of the truck up to about 65
 without damage
      to the drive train. Do I recall correctly? What cost is this type
 of conversion?
PASS...I SUBSCRIBE TO THE THEORY OF LEAVE EARLIER.

 5: How much help is the 'Air' seat? None of the trucks when I was in
 had it
     ( 78-81 ). I remember putting dents in the hard tops from time to
 time, and would
     sort of like to avoid that at my advanced age and condition. <g>
YOU'LL PUT MORE DENTS IN THE TOP WITH THE "AIR" SEAT...IT IS MUCH TALLER (AND
CLOSER TO STEERING WHEEL) THAN ORIGINAL BOX SEAT.

 6: Can anybody point me toward a good site for getting tips on doing
 body work,
     welding a plate in, etc. I've done bits and pieces in the Army and
 would like to
     do some or most of my own work, but have holes in what I recall...
 and also feel
     some things are done differently today.
 7: Do people in Ca/Nv/Az ever just get together with their trucks for a
 weekend
     rally/get together?
 8: Roughly what does a set of batteries ( 4 as I recall ) run today?
THE G-742 SERIES TRUCKS (M-35 TYPE) HAVE 2 6TL BATTERIES (EXCEPTION, THE FIRE
TRUCK VARIANTS TAKE 4 OF THESE).

 9: Specific question: If I end up getting the fire truck, it has an
 original Gas engine.
     It was running when driven in two years ago. Would I be best
 advised to have
     the valve head replaced with 'hardened' ones as we no longer can get
 leaded
     gas? Or would you just run it until it needed a rebuild then look
 at it then?

I WOULD HAVE TO DIG THROUGH MY ARCHIVAL INFORMATION TO VERIFY THIS, BUT I
BELIEVE THE OA-331 WAS DESIGNED TO RUN EQUALLY WELL ON LEADED OR UNLEADED.
REMEMBER, LEADED GAS WAS A RELATIVELY NEW DEVELOPMENT WHEN THE ENGINE WAS
DESIGNED (1948-49), AND LEADED WAS NOT AVAILABLE WORLDWIDE. THESE TRUCKS
WERE DESIGNED TO BE USED WORLDWIDE.

 Thank you for your ideas.

      Paul A. Thomas
      Bay Point, Ca