M796 Bolster Trailers

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 12:32:56 PDT

Can the 4 wheel model of trailer be adapted to have larger wheels
than the 16.5" units on it? Also, what is the general capacity for
this trailer in the 4 wheel form?

I'm closer to the ideal Ferret/Dingo transporter and I'm wondering if
I could adapt one of these trailers to both carry the Dingo and look
like the trailer for the FMTV trailer. If I get a GMC T series (Isuzu
F series) truck for carrying the Dingo or Ferret, it'd be nice to
have a combo setup that would allow transport of both to shows with
the Dingo on the trailer and the Ferret on the Truck. Assuming I get
the truck, it will begin a transformation into a poor man's FMTV
(minus the front wheel drive portions of the 4wd specs).

Things I'm contemplating adding would be a good solid winch for
recovery work and pulling a dead vehicle onto the bed.

An air compressor for running tools, adding air to tires, etc

A stowage bin for tools, parts and such under the bed.

Spare tire behind the cab in the correct position for the FMTV.

OD scheme as is correct...

I've contemplated getting a Bedford or some other Brit truck, but I
want parts I can get quickly and something that is really made for
the road for the major transport work....

--
--
Ryan Gill                         rmgill@mindspring.com
    1960 Daimler Ferret     1942 Daimler Dingo