The Faux FMTV Project

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 15:04:58 PDT

        Ok, I've spoken about this some on the list and I'm a bit
further into this project in its planning stages.

        The short of it is that I want a nice truck for getting the
Dingo and Ferret to shows a good distance from my place in Georgia. I
could ship them every time, but I worry about the issues. So, I'm
looking to build something myself. Basically a poor Mans Stewart and
Stevenson FMTV A1. I'm looking for help here to make sure I'm not
going to get a vehicle that won't do what I need it to and will get
me fined because I'm over weight.

        I'm looking at a used Isuzu F series Truck (GMC T series) as
the basis of this plan. The FTR (GMC T6500) has a 25,950 GVW with a
GCVW of 30,000 with the Hydraulic brakes. The cargo/body allowance is
16,000 which means a chassis weight of 9,950. I'm looking at a 14'
bed as sold by Clark Trucks. I think that would work for holding the
Ferret (4.5 tons).

        Why an FTR? Well, the Isuzu trucks are good and given that
I'm wanting something that will be relatively easy to drive to a show
(its a vacation not more work, the Ferret or Dingo are enough work to
drive as it is now). Since its for personal use, I can get a Class B
license (non Commercial) and be legal if not obscure. Further, I
figure since it is for military vehicle shows, I'll dress it up like
an MV and make it look like a S&S FMTV M1078 A1.

         If I get creative I figure I can hide the Isuzu details and
mask them with accessories and gear that would make it look pretty
close to the FMTV. Main points to look at are paint job, tire types
(Dual-use All Terrain vs Road tires) and the arrangement of gear
under the bed (air tanks, stowage, etc). Further, there is a trailer
for the FMTVs that has a 2 axle configuration for 5 tons of cargo. I
figure a modified 4 ton Bolster trailer could work as well as look
right.

        Questions:
        How much do the 14' beds weigh and how much can they safely
hold? I don't want to nail the brakes and have the ferret join me up
front in the cab. Its a nice vehicle, but not that cuddly despite the
name....

        Can a M796 trailer be converted to use 20" tires and carry
the dingo (3.5 tons) safely as cargo with its own modified bed? How
much does a Bolster trailer like this weigh all alone? How much with
a suitable bed? Perhaps a 14' cargo bed that has been cut down to the
right size (length and width)

        Assuming the 14' bed weighs about 2000 lbs and the Trailer
weights in at the same of 2000 lbs, I'll be at a GCW of about 30,000
lbs. Does this sound right folks?

        For the Class B license, I'll have to keep the Truck under
26,000 and the trailer under 10,000 lbs. If I do that then I'm ok
there. The trick is the Hydraulic brakes on the FTR limits me to
30,000 unless I go to air. Then I'm golden. However, most of the FTR
50s seem to be limited to Hydraulic.

--
  Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
  1960 Daimler Ferret      1942 Daimler Dingo