CUCV wiring woes

From: Chris Stansbury (chris_stansbury@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun May 19 2002 - 08:34:03 PDT

Hi all,
Long time, no write. I have been having a problem with my CUCV starting
system. Sometimes, when I turn the key on, every dash light comes on and
the truck starts normally. Sometimes, all the dash lights come on and when
I turn the key to start, something clicks and the whole truck goes black.
When I check the truck with a multimeter after such an episode, I get power
between the (-) post on the batt. and the body. Hmmm... It sounds like a
relay is going out and grounding out the electrical system? If I go and
disconnect everything and then reconnect it all, I can get the system to
come back up. I know it's not the under dash starting relay because I took
it out years ago and used a remote starter relay in the engine compartment
instead. It's worked fine for 6 years. Are there any other relays in the
starting system that could be screwing things up? Thanks. I'm pulling out
my hair here.
Sincerely,
Chris Stansbury
Memphis, TN