Re: Sherman DD recovery in Italy

From: Hanno Spoelstra (HL.Spoelstra@inter.NL.net)
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 03:37:14 PDT

>At 13.33 20/05/02 +0200, Raimondo wrote:
>>The TV also said that this tank "is very rare (????) and only two are in
>>existence: one is in France and another in the U.K."!!!! Any comment?

Raimundo,

There are seven known Sherman DD tanks on public display:

1) M4A1 DD; 2) M4A1(75) DD; Sherman DD turret: Musée Des Epaves
Sous-Marines, COMMES (near Port-en-Bessin), France.

3) M4A4 DD / Sherman V DD: Place 6 Juin, COURSEULLES-SUR-MER, France.

4) M4A1(75) DD: Slapton Beach, TORCROSS, Devon, Great Britain.

5) M4A2 DD / Sherman III DD: The Tank Museum, BOVINGTON CAMP, Wareham,
Dorset, Great Britain.

6) M4A2(76)W HVSS DD III: Ordnance Museum, ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND, MD, USA.

7) M4A1(76)W DD: Musée des Blindes, SAUMUR, France.

Numbers 1), 2) and 3) were lost during Normandy landings and number 4) was
lost while training for the Normandy landings off the English coast.
Number 5) is the most complete example, it is at least externally restored
and kept under cover.
Numbers 6) is a late war version which was not used operationally.
Number 7) could be a film prop, I do not know of any DDs modified from
M4A1(76)W Shermans.
The one in Italy is number eight and I hope it will be put on public display
too.

Hope this helps,
Hanno Spoelstra