CUCV electrical problem

From: Amnon (amnon@deltaforce.net)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 10:45:59 PDT

1984 CUCV, just purchased.

Every now and then, the "Low Coolant" light doesn't go out when I start the
engine, but the radiator is full. More disturbing, and looks like getting
worse is the following. I start the engine, and when raved up a little one
of the belts squeels. I noticed that when this happened the volt guage goes
between the green and yellow, and there is a click from under the dash right
around the steering column. Whenever the needle goes into the yellow on the
guage, the engine slows down and if raved, the belt squeels. So I figured
it is an alternator belt. Today I drove it and it died on me while getting
ready to turn to my driveway (lucky I guess). It did start up, but took a
few good turns of the starter, and pressing the pedal to get it to go.
(Could the load on one of the alternators draged the rpm so low it cut off?)

Anyway, anybody has any ideas? The truck does not have the right battaries,
just two 12V battaries, half the physical size of the battary trays. Andy
says he replaced the glow plus some time ago, and the glow plugs module.

The clicking and needle movement back and forth stops after about two
minutes if I keep the rpm around 1500 (just guessing, I am not revving it up
real high).

Thanks.

Shalom Ya'll
Amnon Nissan