M151 MUTT Carb Fuel Diaphragm Spring (Which Side?)

From: Winget, William A CONT JTFCS5G (winget@jfcom.mil)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 07:25:21 PDT

Ok, having rebuilt a M151A2 MUTT Zenith Carb last week, I streamlined the
interior (removal of factory casting numbers in the venturi, getting rid of
sharp angles, beveling the throttle and choke plates for smoother air flow
through it) The Carb started up right away, idles PERFECTLY!, and runs
GREAT!. (Much better than any MUTT we've used in the service too!

 So the problem: As I'm rebuilding the old dead carb we took off (Another
Zenith Environmental model) I notice the Depot guys had a few problems.
Left off the tiny washer on the bowl rod portion, (Typical overlook
apparently that makes ALL the difference) a clogged/stuck valve at the idle
diaphragm, and the spring on the INSIDE of the diaphragm.

Now the question: Does the spring go on the inside (float housing side) or
the outside (diaphragm plate cover side) of the diaphragm? Seems to me the
outside (as I put the other together) works great, but I want to get it done
correctly, and I've seen two of each done both ways now (4 different carbs I
disassembled)

I can see their confusion, as there is more clearance on the Float bowl side
for the spring to go there, but that doesn't mean it is supposed to go
there.

Anyone with a diagram of the exploded view check this out for me?

I think it's in the -34, but have lost track of my copy. Need another copy
of it.

Still seeking TOW Missile system parts and expended Missile tubes. I want
to get a carrier jeep setup to follow behind the TOW MUTT. (Anyone have a
parted out MUTT with a set of the carrier brackets out there???)

Web page: http://home.mindspring.com/~jhooah/index.html

Regards Adrian Winget
Hampton, Va.