Re: [MV] [MVlist] term for body repair...

From: Dave Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 07:07:27 PDT

Lead can be really bad stuff on your nervous system if you apply it yourself. When I worked for GM way back in the 70's and early 80's when they still used
Lead in the old Chevy Nova's, the guys wore pressurized space type suits who ground the lead joints and they had to do blood tests once a month. Once
their blood levels hit a certain level, they were transferred out to another department. Everybody wanted those jobs because they paid a premium, but few
people could do more than 2 months at a time without elevated lead blood levels.

About 25 years ago, I did some major body repair to a 70 Camaro and I used what was then a new product called AllMetal body filler. It is alumunim grindings
mixed with polyester resin. The stuff is waterproof so it doesn't popoff or allow rust to form under the filler. That was 25 years ago and you can't see where I
put the filler on the car. I had to use quite a bit to fill over some patch panels at the bottom of the fender doglegs.

If you want your body repair work to last 200 years after you are dead, use lead. If you are ok with 50 years of so, use an AllMetal type filler and it's a lot
safer.

BTW, I now need to repaint this 70 Camaro as the lacquer job I did way back when has cracked in several spots. I guess that 25 years for a paint job isn't
too bad! (;->)

Dave