Open letter:  Suggestions for Woodson's Bridge

From: JaxInCalifornia@aol.com
Date: Sat Jun 01 2002 - 10:57:24 PDT

One of the main reasons for holding mil-veh events has to be to show off your vehicle, right?  C'mon you know it is.  So why not make the public feel more welcome?  I'm speaking to the people who promote Woodson Bridge.

Little bit about the place:

The Woodson Bridge area is located near Corning in Northern California.  We camp at a private camp ground adjacent to the Sacramento River.  About 150+ sites are available, including the overflow, so it's cozy, but adequate.  It's mostly shady with a paved road circling 70% of the camp sites.  Electrical and water handy at each camping spot.  They have the "usual have not been repaired or upgraded in 30 years" bathrooms and showers. You know the kind, where you flush the toilet and somebody in the shower stall next door screams... but it's what we are used too isn't it?

My suggestion (again) would be to have a heads up notice that goes out to local TV stations and have postings in the local Corning, Chico and Oroville papers giving the nature of the event and inviting the public.  Should be about a week ahead.  Some fliers around these town at auto parts stores would also help, 6-8 weeks ahead.

I feel we have really fallen down on the job when it comes to properly publicizing our event.  We seem to be drifting more to the commercial end.  A few commerical venders show up on Wed., sell things to collectors then pack up and go home by Friday, just part of their work week.  Some of the MVCC, MVPA types are starting to do the same, it's getting to be a pattern to leave on Friday.  In that respect it's my humble opinion that we're losing sight of what it is to have fun at these things and cater to the public.

A Sat. trail ride around the river bottoms (public invited) would be fun. A Sat. MV show in the park just off the highway would be great too.  We ought to have an "official notice" of an MV parade SAT (maybe after 5 pm).  How about touring CHICO, instead of Corning just to be different?  Corning is like this rush thru town and that's it..you blink and you miss it.  Chico would flip out to see these vehicles show up in a caravan...especially if we could stop and park for an hour where people could see them up close!

Just too many people are packing up and going home on SAT. and this is rediculous because we are missing out on so much that would be good for the hobby.  Most people work during the week, many even work on Sat., but I know MV people have to use Sun. to drive home, so a little compromise will have to be in order and make Sat., the big day.

Look, if we don't encourage new people to join us we won't have any events in 10 years around here.  My hats off to the old gang, we owe them a lot and they did a great job for a long time, but they seem to be less motivated with every passing year and we need to pump some life into these events or watch them phase out.  Note I truly mean no disrespect to the older folks the started this, I'm just saying we also need some younger players, with a lot of energy and enthusiasm to carry it forward into the next decade. I realize I said this last year and the year before... well, thanks for indulging me... again!

That's my 2 cents worth, ok I is ready to be flamed.

Jack Lee
(Chico- CA)