Judging at Churchville and reality check

From: Renactr2@aol.com
Date: Sat Jun 01 2002 - 19:38:15 PDT

OK,
I just gotta jump in on this thread. I think a reality check is in order.

First off, I have had many years experience in the custom Van and Truck world
both as an owner and as a custom painter. I have seen old vans so customized,
chromed, and polished that the wheels never touched ground as they were
rolled off the trailer onto it's display site. And I have seen all manner of
cute but effective barriers made of ropes, crushed velvet, chrome tie rods,
etc., etc. TO KEEP THE PUBLIC FROM GETTING IN TOUCH RANGE of the "show car."

Second off, What we are dealing with is MILITARY VEHICLES! unlike 10 layers
of hand rubbed lacquer or 1/4 inch thick MetalFlake and clear paint on a show
car, we are dealing with flat Milspec paint. The fenders on a M-35 are
designed for crew to STAND ON THEM! if they needed to to perform maintenance.
 We are not talking about hand-hammered flared "wings" form a vintage MG that
would bend if you looked at them hard.

Most of these vehicles are 4 X 4 , and a typical event at one of these shows
is a MUDDY TRAIL RIDE! not a plastic covered ramp into the climate
controlled trailer and skimpily dressed Babes flogging mag wheel polish.

With all that in mind, I don't think resting a clipboard on a MV fender is a
hangin' offense that this fella is making it out to be. Most every MV event
will see kids ignoring the "don't touch" signs, and usually they are up their
for the kids (and parent's) safety, not the safety of the vehicle.

DO a reality check old boy. This is the kind of world you vehicle belongs
too, not the chrome and hand-rubbed lacquer crowd. If you object to such
handling, get some barbed wire and pigtails (appropriate Army barrier stuff)
and rope off the truck when you park it. And when the judges come up to the
checkpoint, have them read your "rules of engagement" before you let them in
to judge your vehicle.

Mr. Wilson, as a professional body man and Nationally recognized Master MV
restorer would never have "land hands on" any ones vehicle with the intent to
"test to destruction." But if your craftsmanship couldn't stand up to a good
shake, like a bloody Army truck should have been able to stand up to in it's
original life, then I would say it's your problem, not Mr. Wilson's or
Mele's.

Keee-rhist! It like somebody who buys an M-37 and then paints it Imron White,
with white spoke wheels with "Desert Dog" tires and says it's an 'Authentic
restored" M-37.
Get Real!!!!

Cheers,
Jim Burrill
1942 CMP C-15A
1942 CMP HU(P)
1942 Ford Universal Carrier Mk1 (Armour Baby!!!)
1945 Humber Mk IV Armoured Car