Re: [MV] Level Wind unit for M series winch question

From: ddoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 20:10:13 PDT

I have one, at it works exactly as advertised.
The reason for the different opinions I suspect is that it is physically impossible to hand pull off the wire on the M62 drag winch, whether or not there is a level wind on it; whereas on the front winch it is slower to pull the rope through the level wind than it is to just kick the winch out of gear, grab the chain and start walking.
BUT, if you factor in the time you eventually waste without the level wind (correcting bird cage effects, using a timber to guide the rope back on, beating in place with a hammer, unrolling it and hooking to a tree just to lay it back on smooth, replacing the bars on the back and under one time you get in hurry and don't lay it on smooth and bend those pieces)....the level winder really is a wonderfull device.
My .02,
David(let me tell you about using winches to recover lawn mowers)Doyle