Re: [MV] Ferret Question

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 10:18:53 PDT

At 1:26 PM -0400 6/10/02, Tony Castagno wrote:
>Hello List,
>
>I was driving my Ferret out the other day on quite a long trip (150
>miles round trip) At one point I was on the interstate doing about 50mph
>3200 rpms (approx) for about 20 miles, when I came off the off ramp I
>smelled 90wt gear oil. I looked down on the floor and saw a quantity of
>gear oil had come out of the right front bevel box. I pulled over and
>checked the level of the oil and it seemed full.... I tried to put some
>more in but it just came right out the level/fill plug. On top of the

If you were filling at the level plug at the front or back of the
bevel box then that's as high as the oil needs to be. Likely it was
slightly over full when it started getting hot and spewed the extra
oil out. 00DA61 did this on the way up to the Memorial day thing 3
weeks ago (remember my comments about oil on the hull floor?).

Anyhow, the brass plugs on the top of the bevel boxes are vents. They
need to be free. One good thing to do every so often is to make sure
the inside brass plugs that are spring loaded can rise. A finger nail
can lift it to be sure. Alos, wiping it all off can be good too.
Otherwise pressure build up during operation will cause the seals to
really blow.

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -