Re: [MV] On Ebay the Mattracks Saga....

From: micdunn (micdunn@ev1.net)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 23:46:28 PDT

Sarge speaks-
The first GL "load out" day was 12 June, which means this guy put them up
for sale before he took possession of them. He probably has not even seen
them himself. Also, you are correct, this is a GL photo of the best
condition lot out of the 13 lots. This is the same photo that GL used on all
13 lots. I did call GL before the auction ended and asked why 27 (out of 43)
photographs depicted the incorrect lots (co-incidentally the best lot) and
GL told me that the photo's were not of the actual lots, just
"representative of the lots". I did not point out at the time that the
Federal Trade Commission refers to this practice as "Bait and Switch" and I
think it is probably a felony. I would be amazed if the e-bay seller
actually has possession of the Mattracks in the photo that he has for sale.
If he purchased lot # 7305, then he actually owns the ones in the photo,
which he paid $3565 plus 10% for.
I was the only bidder to actually physically inspect the lots before the
close of the sale. GL extended the bidding time (to drive up the price?) one
hour and 8 minutes on two lots, and up to 59 minutes on the remaining lots.
Not one bid was closed at the advertised time. The descriptions on the lots
said that the Mattracks would fit 4, 5 and 6 bolt patterns when actually
every single set was built for the standard Hummvee 8 bolt pattern only. One
description said that the wheel was 'disconnected' when I believe a better
description might be 'torn off' or even 'axle sheared'.
Having said all this, I drove my M35 from Austin TX to Northern California
and back (4000 miles) in order to inspect and bid on these items. I am not
upset at GL even though their trade practices are criminally inept and one
senior employee (not David Wright) made snide comments about MV collectors.
I am upset at the bidders who have no interest in the hobby whatsoever and
are simply turning a fast buck. I just noticed that this e-bay seller posted
his set on e-bay 31 minutes after he won the bid. His description is also
inaccurate, these are not 105M1 Mattracks and they did not sell for $25,000
a set, they originally cost $8,000 a set complete with all torsion bars.
-Cranky old Sarge