Re: [MV] Prop Shaft

From: Paul A. Thomas (pt@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 19:44:53 PDT

> Ok. If the he took the shaft apart in the middle, there is a cap screwed
on the
> end of the female end of the shaft he probably forced it out thru this
cap, this
> is a seal and prevents it from coming out. This has very fine threads on
it but
> I think they are right hand.

Hi Joe. I believe that's the one. There is a screw cap on the front
end of the shaft, where the splines I mentioned are. I've got the shaft
about half way into the .... socket? Female connector? on the
transmission. This sits right under the driver, but in the center of the
vehicle. This shaft is about 3.5 to 4 feet long, has four bolts at the
rear end and the shaft with splines around it and a screw cap on it at the
front to hold the shaft in the female receptor.

I'm concerned because the truck is on a slight incline, there are no
brakes, and ( I'd forgotten ) the emergency brake grabs the prop shaft to
operate. With computers if you force a connection you usually end up
buying those parts.. ( but not always <g> ) so I'd like to find out if
trying to tap the shaft once half way in is a good way to screw up my drive
train, or if I should just start tapping.

Thanks for the help.

          Paul
          MVPA 24986
          M35W/WN