Re: [MV] Prop Shaft

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 21:40:09 PDT

Hi List...

>My thought was a 5 mile tow at no more than 35 mph
>would not hurt anything if the truck were in
>neutral. ?

I was under the impression that you can flat tow a deuce with a medium
towbar without problems, no?

In TM 9-4910-593-12P ("OPERATOR’S AND UNIT MAINTENANCE MANUAL
(INCLUDING REPAIR PARTS AND SPECIAL TOOLS LIST)FOR TOWBAR, MOTOR
VEHICLE, WHEELED") it states on page 2-11 that "Wheeled vehicles up to
and including 39,000 pounds gross weight can be towed with all wheels
on the ground."

Obviously you would take the vehicle out of gear so as not to spin (or
bump start) the deuce's motor. But I think it is totally unnecessary
to disconnect drive lines.

I flat-tow my M1007 almost every month and all I do is put the
transfer case in neutral. I know a deuce doesn't have a neutral
position in its transfer case, but it does have a sprag/air engagement
on the front axle, so all you need to do is unhook the rotating wheels
from the engine by placing the transmission in neutral.

Am I wrong?

The subject of vehicle towing (like cooling, electrical systems,
intake and exhaust systems, brake systems, tires and traction, and I
guess everything automotive) is one of those subjects that is FULL of
junk science and voo-doo here say.

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter (378 CID) Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 CID Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net