Re: [MV] On Ebay the Mattracks Saga....

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 23:08:24 PDT

At 10:34 AM +0930 6/14/02, Douglas Greville wrote:

>Good idea, but someone called "The British Empire" thought of it
>roughly 300 years ago. The places they sent them to were called "The
>New World" (America) and "The Colony of New South Wales" (Australia).

Heh. The US was social malcontents and religious fanatics, not
Telephone Sanitizers and Documentary Producers. It took the US to
invent those things for those jobs to appear. Now, Austrailia, what
did they invent? Oh thats right the Crocadile guy..wot's his name?
Steve Irwin isit?...pretty interesting useless 3rd.

>Richard Notton wants to know why they packed off all the unwanteds to
>nice climates and stuck with "sunny" England?

They were victorian and had too much starch in their nickers?

>We have 330 days of sunshine a year, England has 30. The concept of
>SAD (Seasonally Attributable Depression) is almost unknown out here...

The US may not have nearly as much nice weather over it's entire
area, but we do have a distinct lack of dangerous and deadly snakes,
crocs, spiders and other nasty beasties that Austrailia seems to have
in droves. We've got snakes, but ours generally warn you before they
get cross and try to bite you.

--
--
Ryan Gill                 rmgill@mindspring.com
     1960 Daimler Ferret     1942 Daimler Dingo