Greases, Oils

From: Paul A. Thomas (pt@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Sat Jun 15 2002 - 19:37:21 PDT

My thanks to all the responses on the prop shaft problem.
I was able to get both 'halves' off and get the yoke into the sleeve,
however once back under the truck ( time to look for a creeper that works
on uneven dirt ) I found the shaft was 2" or so too long. As I had to tap
the two halves together with a wood block and hammer to get it THAT far...
I'm thinking of buying a parts washer ( I'll need one anyway ) and cleaning
both the yoke an sleeve completely, then assembling them and greasing the
unit. Without any grease hopefully they will glide together, as tho meant
for each other <g>

1: Do all fittings for a grease gun on a 1953 Deuce use the same
grease? What is/are it/they called? I need to pick
      up a/some guns and grease.
2: Presuming completely cleaning the yoke/sleeve allows me to push them
together, should I then leave the
      collar off and pump grease into the sleeve, waiting until I see it
oozing between splines before trying to
      screw the collar back on? As I have had trouble getting the yoke and
sleeve to slide together I wonder
      if there is any clearance in there for grease to move rearward from
the grease fitting?

Thanks for any ideas!

               Paul
               MVPA 24986