CUCV warm start and broke down - resolution!

From: Nathan Wilkens (nathan.wilkens@asu.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 13:41:51 PDT

Everyone - First, thanks for all the help on this issue, and my previous
'warm start' issue.....
Here's a quick play-by-play of the problem with my M1009 and (eventual)
solution, in case anyone else has this kind of problem down the road:
I purchased a M1009 last Dec for little money - I knew some things were
likely wrong, but what I ride I was in for.
1. First, after I got her home from Atlanta GA, I had the tranny rebuilt
(big $ - ouch!).
2. Then I gave her a complete service, including radiator flush, high
quality synthetic oil change, took the CDRV apart and cleaned it, gave her a
good greasing, replaced the drive shaft U joints, opened the dash and
replaced a bunch of bulbs and cleaned everything out, then I noticed the
water-in-fuel light was on (the bulb had gone out) and replaced the fuel
filter, I check resistance on the glow plugs and had to replace half of them
and some of the glow plug wiring..
3. Then she ran pretty well, until Jan when she started leaking diesel fuel
from the injector pump (stunk bad, but still ran OK).
I went on an all day remote 4X4 trail in late Jan, got her home, and
realized that I had left a substantial trail of diesel fuel for miles. The
leak had become catastrophic and she would barely run. Diesel Injection
Service had the best price/warranty for a rebuilt military injector pump, so
I had one sent ($380, again, ouch!). Then, I had a local shop install it -
BIG MISTAKE, I should have done it myself and it would not have cost another
$300 AND it would likely have been installed correctly. I went on a Feb
trip to Durango CO (from Tempe AZ) and at a high mountain pass between
Durango and Silverton, CO, started smelling diesel fuel. I popped the hood
and found a nice stream of diesel pouring out of one of the lower injector
lines near the injector pump. I managed to limp her back to Tempe AZ
(nearly 1000 miles). After taking off the intake manifold, retightening the
injector lines, and reconnecting everything correctly (apparently no one had
bothered to look at a manual before working on this truck), the problem was
solved..
4. Or was it... She ran great, she started pretty good cold, but didn't
like to start warm. So, I replaced the glow plug temp sensor switch (with
the new GM version, so I had to change the connector as well). No
difference. Then I replaced the fuel filter plug seals, no difference.
Then I replaced the glow plug controller card, and it started great cold,
but still not so good warm.. So, I installed a glow plug temp sensor
override switch (to trick the computer into cycling the glow plugs when it
was warm).
5. Saturday morning (yesterday) my wife and I jumped into the truck for
some morning errands, and we made it 1/4 mile before the truck just stopped.
The electrics seemed fine, had current on the pink wire, so I suspected it
was a fuel problem. I had to run some errands, so I wasn't able to work on
it until this morning. This morning, I began troubleshooting the fuel
system (in a hurry, so I wouldn't miss the Detroit/Diamondbacks ball game -
I love my MVs, but I also love my Diamondbacks!).. So, I traced the bubbles
in the fuel back to the fuel pump, and after getting a new pump and cussing
about a million times until I got the old one off, I realized the fuel line
on the intake side of the fuel pump had a nice leak in it - Surprise - she
runs great, starts great cold, and now FINALLY, she starts great warm!
So, I guess the moral of the story is TROUBLESHOOTING - when I was in the
army (as a mechanic 63B) we just replaced anything we thought might be
broken, but my civvy' budget isn't so great, so if only I was better with
troubleshooting, the problems would have been solved long ago...
Thanks again for everyone's help on this issue -
Nathan Wilkens