Chieftain & Ferret maintenance

From: Cav43rdBn@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 19:21:23 PDT

I seem to recall reading/hearing that the Chieftain had
engine problems throughout it's lifetime. Was this true,
or a problem that was solved later in it's operational
lifetime? Was this problem simply an engine problem, as
in even if the crew was religious about care, that it would
blow anyway? Or if lovingly cared for, by a collector/owner,
will it last? Or, how much are replacement engines going
for?
(A friend of mine not on-list was looking at some website
the other evening, and was drooling over a Chieftain. Any
problems with Chieftains, other than the powerpack, that
make them fussy to a collector?)

For me: I'd love to have a Sherman, but doubt I'll ever have
that kind of $$ to spend on a big toy, so I'm thinking a
Ferret is more in line. Is there a lister in the Northern VA
area who has one that I could look at closely? Maybe give
me pointers in what to look for, in looking at a vehicle to
buy (what to avoid, etc...)
Any hints/pointers would be appreciated.

Jerry