Re: [MV] Thinner for Aerovoe

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 10:00:36 PDT

Hi Dave...

>Can anyone reccomend the best thinner to use with Aervoe (the imitation CARC
>color)? Mineral Spirits, Xylene? Spraying with HVLP rig.

I can help you here.

When I painted my M1007 with Aervoe 30277 sand (Desert Storm color), I
called up and spoke to a tech at Aervoe. Here's what he told me:

  o Aervoe does not recommend the use of any anti-fisheye
     or accelerant additives.

  o Aervoe paints are thinned with Aervoe 494 or
     equivalent (any automotive finish thinner comprised
     of 75% acetone and 25% xylene).

  o Catalyst can be used if desired. Aervoe recommends
     urethane activator 27-OX-1000. You can order it
     directly from Aervoe over the phone at 1-800-227-0196.

  o A datasheet for Aervoe camo paint is available at:
       http://www.aervoe.com/techdata/1951.pdf

  o The product users guide is available at:
       http://www.aervoe.com/userguide/SprayPaint.html

Use the slowest drying thinner mix you can since this paint tends to
dry very fast and causes rough spots easily. I have one little rough
spot on the roof. More acetone and less xylene will produce slower
drying as xylene evaporates immediately while acetone is a little less
volatile. You might even want to go all acetone.

Several people here have said that Aervoe paint fades after time, and
for example they say the 30277 sand color will turn pink. I have not
had this experience with mine, and it still looks great after almost 2
years. Last week I oiled the paint with Olde English lemon furniture
oil and it made the paint look like brand new! This is a great
technique for any low-luster paint...I do this on my deuce too and I
get comments from people asking if it has recently been painted.

Many people prefer Gillespie Coatings (available from Rapco Parts
(http://www.rapcopartscompany.com/ or phone 1-940-872-2403) for
repainting their MVs. I have not tested the two brands against each
other so I have no opinion on which one is better.

Good luck!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter (378 CID) Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 CID Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net