Re: [MV] XM791E1 Trailer AC/Heater Units - phase conversion

From: Dave Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 11:27:58 PDT

The cheap phase converters you are talking about are termed Static phase converters and they simply start and run a 3 phase motor by shifting the phase of
the current via capacitors connected to the 3rd phase of the motor. While this works ok if the motor is lightly loaded, if the motor is fully loaded, the motor
windings will overheat and burn out. The only bulletproof way to run 3 phase motors on single phase power is to use a full rotary phase converter which can
supply true balance 3 phase power. I have put together a couple homebuilt rotary converters but they do not supply true balanced 3 phase power. That's
how I am able to run my 10 hp 3 phase compressor and my 5 hp 3 phase turret lathe from my residential service. To keep the maximum load on the
compressor at well less than 100% I simply reduced the maximum cutout pressure from 175 psi to about 140 psi.

Personally I think I would look for a source of cheap 3 phase generators or go with a true rotary phase converter. Don't waste your time with a static
converter on the ac system as the motor is sized very close to the load and will burn out with a static converter.

Good Luck!

Dave