M54 or M35 governor problem

From: JJ&A (w7ls@blarg.net)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 14:49:11 PDT

    My M54 suddenly started loosing power. It acts very much like a
governor is regulating the rpms to 2000 and not letting much fuel in.
Funny thing is that it is ok at first, then after a mile or so, it acts
like you can only get a fraction of the power. It acts like you have a
properly functioning engine, but the gas pedal will only go 1/4 the way
down. The bolt under the gas pedal has not moved.
    Is there a governor on these, somewhere? It uses virtually the same
engine as a deuce. I think this engine is called LDT-465-1A, but I could
be wrong. It makes 198 hp vs. 165 for the deuce.
    Possibilities coming to mind are clogged fuel filter (haven't
checked it yet) or a governor problem, if there is one in there.
    Any ideas? Thanks, list. Jim