Re: [MV] M151A2 wheel cylinders

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 11:16:53 PDT

A mechanic friend of mine gave me this advice:

Do not mix dot 5 with anything else. If you mix the silicone fluid with the
non-silicon it will destroy the rubber in the system.

I read somewhere that one is water soluble and the other is not. I took
some dot 3 and poured water in it and water dissolved in the fluid. The two
became one. I took some of the fluid that I bled out of my m35 and poured
water in it. The water sank to the bottom and didn't mix with the fluid. It
looked water in gas. I concluded my M35 has silicone fluid.

I don't know if my experiment was conclusive, but I could tell there was a
definite difference between the dot 3 and what was in my truck. I trust my
mechanic friend so I'm going to be careful not to mix the fluids. Hopefully
there is a mechanic among us that can shed some further light on this.

Joe Trapp
67 Kaiser M35