Re: [MV] M38A1 Fuel Pump

From: greg marks (youdog99@msn.com)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 07:14:37 PDT

Hi Thom,

I bought a kit from Surplus City two or three years ago as well as the Ord-9
and maintenance manual. I was able to rebuild mine in an evening. The only
thing that fooled me was the tension on the arm that rides on the cam. It
is articulated and I just couldn't understand how that minor articulation
made the pump work. It turned out that I just wasn't putting enough
pressure on the arm to cause the diaphragm to move. Once I realized that I
need to push on it harder, I could hear the internal mechanisms working. I
installed it and have never had a problem with either the fuel pump or the
vacuum side of the pump.

I have basic mechanical skills. I can generally handle anything on the
outside of the block but have never gone inside a block. Probably a 6 or 7
on the "Shade Tree Mechanic" scale.

I think that the kit was 65 or 75 bucks. I could be wrong as its been a
while. And I think that they offer a 'rebuild with core' option as well.

Their link is http://www.surplusjeep.com/

Good Luck,

Greg
'53 M38A1