relining water cans

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Sun Jun 30 2002 - 10:16:27 PDT

I know that in the past I've talked with a couple guys about relining USGI
water cans, figured others on the lists would want to see this too. I found
this on a boating website. I figure it'll work for water cans! I'm going to
call Microseal next week & find out about getting a gallon of the stuff.

Later,
Brian

WATER TANK REPAIR: Jan/Feb 2000, Vol 5, No 1 Passagemaker Magazine p. 114
Ed Babniuk
Repair of metal water tanks which leak on the inside and are too difficult
to remove. Use Microseal, an FDA approved non-toxic and odorless, thin
liquid plastic type material. Available from Microseal company of Rome, New
York. Phone 315-337-2720 at $36/gal. You must first open the access ports
on your water tank and clean it out (pressure sprayer), then let it
completely dry (shop wet vac to suck up as much as possible). Remove the
water connection fittings so they don't get gunked then plug the hole with
something. Microseal is dissolved in Methyl Ethel Ketone (MEK - nasty
stuff) which evaporates after 3 days to leave the sealant bonding with the
tank. One gallon microseal in the water tank (unknown size). Can use garden
sprayer to get it up high on walls if needed. If not just slosh it around
to cover bottom and corners. Don't use heat gun to dry (explosive).
Question of whether it would also work on metal fuel tanks or deck leaks,
but not tested.