HMMWV starting problem

From: Tony Castagno (tonycastagno@verticalthought.com)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 09:55:04 PDT

Hello List,

Well went to start the HMMWV today after not starting it for a couple of
weeks, but it wouldn't start. I turned on the ignition switch, the glow
plug controller seemed to cycle normally, 3-5 second wait light came on,
I cranked it over but only white smoke came out the exhaust stack. As I
was cranking I heard the glow plug cycle (click once as normal). Any
ideas on what is happening. The last time I had a starting problem
about a year and a half ago, my glow plug controller was not cycling, I
replaced the controller with a new one and she fired right up. I'm
thinking the culprit is not the controller this time because of the
seemingly normal operation? Could it be the glow plugs? I have a fresh
set, of glow plugs and a spare controller but would like to have an idea
of what's going on before I start swapping parts around.... Thanks in
advance for any replies.

Thanks,
Tony