Contaminated Brake fluid...

From: Nathan Wilkens (nathan.wilkens@asu.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 18:24:33 PDT

Hello List!
I'm going down my list of things to fix on my 1986 M1009, and now I'm down
to the brakes. Although they work fine (really fine, truth be told), when I
opened the brake fluid reservoir, all I see is a milky gray fluid.
Apparently, the last owner mixed brake fluids and now I need to fix it.

1. What is the correct brake fluid for a CUCV? When I was in the Nat.
Guard, we used a purple brake fluid called BFS (brake fluid silicon). Is
this the same as DOT 3, 4, or 5?

2. What about seal damage? The guy at my local NAPA store fed me a
song-and-dance story about having to replace all master cylinder and brake
system seals (I don't believe him).

3. What is the best way to replace the brake fluid? I'm imaging I need to
sponge out all the fluid from the reservoir, and then bleed the system
(closest wheel from the master cylinder first).

Thanks in advance for any info on the topic,
Nathan Wilkens

PS: I recall some recent discussions about brake fluid contamination, but I
cannot pull up the list archives. Is anyone else able to pull up the
archives from the last month or so?