MUTT Carb Rebuild answer (And I STILL need some TOW par ts!!!!!)

From: Winget, William A CONT JTFCS5G (winget@jfcom.mil)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 06:03:04 PDT

Jon:
I just finished a rather lengthy writeup on some Zenith rebuild factors on
G503.com forum under the 151 technical.
 http://www.g503.com/boards/list.php?f=13

As to the adjustment of the idle mix screw. A few turns out should get you
started. This gets turned out till the engine runs it's MAX rpm, then when
warm, turn it IN till the engine just looses a few rpm. Then back out about
a 1/4 or 1/2 turn for max performance. (Yes, you could (should) use a vacuum
gauge to fine tune it) but it's not like a car where you can pull a hose
off, and this method has worked for me (and other mechanics) for almost a
Century.

As to the Filter. There is none inside the housing, only attached to the
outside threaded portion (think it's a stock Ford part from any carb through
the 70's by the way, as we had these on our 70 Station wagon amongst others)
There is a limiting device screwed in just past the filter inlet, which
allows the fuel to bleed back to the fuel tank VS shoving it through the
needle valve.

Choke is fully closed, then pull out the lever 1/8 Inch, to run position.
Now you could adjust it to remain slightly open when the knob is all the way
in, but every MUTT I've ever driven (and according to the -34 I think I
recall reading) it should be pulled out 1/8 inch to run properly, and closed
only for starting purposes.

Three other critical things.
Seal around the throttle body is good (BIG vacuum leak resulting in MANY
problems there)
The Tiny o-seal gasket on the bowl metering tube is installed
The spring goes on the inside of the diaphragm, not the outside (Like many
takeoff US Mil bad rebuilds I have found....)

Any questions I can assist with, feel free to e-mail me off line.

Still seeking a TOW Day Sight and the Carrier Jeep bracket parts for the
second jeep that follows the TOW Jeep in the Unit.

The TOW MUTT ran great with the VFW in 4 Jul Parade

Proud New Father of a little Soldier born 2 Jul 02
W. Winget
http://home.mindspring.com/~jhooah/index.html
uniquemachine@air1.net Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 M151A2 carb
I just finished rebuilding the Zenith carb for my M151A2 and have a
few questions. Thanks Jon MVPA #23597 1967 Kaiser M35A2 1974 AMGeneral
M151A2