RE: [MV] Fw: Basic M35 info

From: Hutterer, John - Deltec (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 06:28:34 PDT

This comes under the heading of "For What It's Worth".

The local (Minneapolis, MN) talk-radio car guru was discussing these types
of demonstrations on his program one day. He mentioned that the reason that
engines could run this way (No oil pressure) was because there was no load
on the motor. I believe that his reasoning was that, since there was no
load, the motor components were free to move with no external forces applied
to them. Of course, the motor was originally started with oil in it, so that
all of the components were coated with a film of oil. He maintained that the
motor would continue to run just fine, until a load was applied. At that
point, external forces would begin to have an effect on the motor
components. The crankshaft would torque against the load, the rod bearings
would be forced against the crankshaft, the pistons would stop "floating" in
the cylinders and actually be pressed against the cylinder walls. All of
these actions would be very small and subtle, but they would be enough to
cause the thin film of oil that was present on the parts to be forced out of
the way, causing a metal to metal situation. Would some type of additive
make a difference at this point? He didn't seem to think so. He seemed to
feel that it would react just the same as the oil film, and be pushed out of
the way too.

As I said, this was an opinion offered by a local "expert". He is fairly
well respected in this area, but that doesn't mean that he is always right.
Worth considering, though.

John