Re: [MV] Mule Magneto timing (4 cyl)?

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 20:01:56 PDT

>On the 2AO42 engine I never pay any attention to the timing marks on the fan
>belt guard and fan pulley. On the Army (1970's) upgrade they removed the fan
>pulley and used a double pulley to drive the fan and alternator, it has no
>timing marks. I always remove the right (looking at rear of vehicle, I
>believe the TM calls it left) spark plug to see when the piston is at TDC.
>Then I run it over until I can see the timing mark on the camshaft gear.
>Then match the mag. gear mark to the cam gear mark. They appear as arrows.

The funny thing is that it does not matter which cylinder you look at. Like
most all two cylinder opposed engines, both plugs fire every revolution, so
you could be off 180 deg and it's still the same thing. The secondary coil
is not grounded, each end of the coil comes out to the two plug wires, thus
implying that there is no distributor mechanism. Thus it is more important
than normal for the wires and plugs to 'matched', if you take one wire off
the other plug will not fire, or if you short one plug the other plug will
fire. The proceedure in the manual is way more complex than it really is.
Just some more useless mule trivia I guess.

later,

je