Brake Line replacements

From: Winget, William A CONT JTFCS5G (winget@jfcom.mil)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 06:25:48 PDT

With the exception of authenticity (i.e. they may not be wire wrapped like
the OEM's are)
Consider making your own brake lines.
Double Flare Tool on average (high quality one) under $30.
Bender $5-$15
Lines vary from $2.50 on up to $9.00 each and you could buy a roll of 20 or
so feet.
I merely buy the line matching the length as close as possible, then bend
it, cut ONE end off, insert the flare nut, create a double flare with the
tool, then I've just replicated the original in function if not look for a
mere few bucks. (one end still has a factory double flare this way)
Don't get me wrong, stainless is nice, Original wrapped stuff is desired for
judging, etc. but to merely replace lines by buying a set for $250 + or so
because you don't take ten minutes to learn how to make a double flare....
Come-on, it's simpler than tuning a carburetor.

I do recommend the paste Teflon sealant though, as I notice even with store
bought flares, attempting to crunch into the old brass fittings, you may
have seepage (not a leak, but wetness) this can usually be resolved by
coating the inside of the flare nut and the threads (not the inside of the
line !!!) with some Teflon paste and assembling. Ensures you don't strip
nuts off next time you disassemble them to.
Regards
 W Winget
Web Page: http://home.mindspring.com/~jhooah/index.html

Still need TOW Missile gear and leads to an M8 Chemical detector if anyone
knows someone that knows someone, etc.
Thanks WAW