Re: [MV] Paint & Rust Removal

From: Dave Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 11:48:20 PDT

Decent pressure blaster - $250 used if you can find one that is truly decent and not trashed - New > $400+
Hoses, water trap, electrical hookup ?$
Hood and respirator new- $150.00
Decent compressor - at least 5 real hp (24 amps at 240 vac single phase) on a 80 gallon tank $900 to run a 1/8" tip intermittently

Rental - $80.00/Day for blaster with helmet - no respirator
Rental - $80.00/Day for 100 cfm gas trailer compressor that can run a 1/4" tip
Blasting media - Black Beauty coal slag grit - fine - $6.00/100 lbs if you can find it.

The rental unit will be a lot faster since you can run a bigger tip. Probably 4-5 times as fast.
Buy a lot of abrasive and don't use silica sand if you like your lungs. Make sure you wear a quality respirator.
Not a paper mask.
Respirators are cheap, $35 for a good one, lungs are priceless.

If you are going to do this once, have it done.
If your M151 is project number 1 of 11 that needs to be blasted and painted, but the best stuff you can afford or marry the rental
stores owners daughter.

Locally there are several decent 100 cfm gas compressors for about $2000.

I use a 10 hp electric compressor, 36 cfm on a 120 gallon tank and that works well intermittently with a 3/16 tip.

Dave