Re: [MV] Lockout Hubs

From: wwd@netheaven.com
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 10:12:18 PDT

>I wish I could afford a set of lockout hubs. I can't, so I bought a spare
>set of front hubs for my M35, and then bored out the splines on them.

>During the summer months I put the spline-less set on, and they do what
>the lockout hubs do, only MUCH cheaper. I keep the original set in the
>truck in a plastic bag, along with a wrench to change them. Only takes a
>few minutes.

>Later -

>Mark Ehle
>Dowling, MI
>1970 AMG M35A2

Sounds like a plan, well executed. Can flat stock work here, or do you
need actual hubs, so as to provide locating/centering of the otherwise
floating shaft?

But I would tend NOT to put the originals back on when going off-road. The
'press on regardless' mindset. Then get in trouble when AWD is really
required. :(

--
wwd

~~~~~~~~