Re: [MV] deuce manufacturer question?

From: ddoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 23:26:32 PDT

M51 trucks were made by
International Harvester (at Ft. Wayne, IN)
Diamond T
Mack

White bought Diamond T on April 1, 1958, and changed name to DTM Corp. Reo Motors had been acquired in 1957. White operated them seperately.
In 1960, Diamond T's production moved into the Reo plant in Lansing....but Diamond T was not buiding 5 tons at the time, having finished their contract in 1959. They got another contract in 1962.
April 1, 1967 they became Diamond Reo Truck Division.
In July, 1971, White sold Diamond Reo.

I have seen remarks that IH had worked a deal with Diamond T for the latter to use IH components, but I have yet to see the real documents to back this up (unlike the documents I have where IH was buying cabs from Reo).

Reo Motors got the contract for the G-742 (M35-type trucks) in June, 1949. These trucks had a planned life expectancy of 8 years.

I have GAO reports that say that production on this series of truck stopped in 1976 or 1977, depending on which report you look at.

My reliable is automotive trade publications that puts the last ones at 1982.

Hope this helps some.

Regards,
David Doyle