Re: [MV] M38A1 Fuel Pump rebuild kit ???

From: paul vandervort (pgv@imaxx.net)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 13:51:00 PDT

Jeff

    That little shield is a guard for the pinion shaft seal. That shield should
be welded onto the differential housing (at least it was on mine and I am it's
only civy owner). What probably happened was that either the welds failed (which
is sort of unlikely) or most likely some one changed the pinion seal and
removed, metal shield and just threw it back onto the pinion yoke. I had to cut
the 2 welds to get the shield off of mine so I could change the pinion seal.
Probably whoever was into it before figured they'd put the shield back on the
pinion yoke shaft and left it at that, loose. If your going to keep it on it
needs to be secured to the differential housing or it will rattle on the pinion
yoke shaft. Look on the back side of the shield and on the diff housing and I'll
bet you'll see what's left of the welds.

    On the fuel pump, I know there are current production carb kits that will
take the wounderful blends of gas we have nowadays (you know the stuff that
turns to varnish in 2 weeks; a jab at the refiners). I have seen nothing in
current prod pump rebuild kits. Use caution using older or NOS kits. That
wonderful gas I was mentioning will eat up the pump diaphragms, causing you to
"make oil" in the oil pan. Check with John Bizal (Midwest Military) on fuel
pump kits (G740@aol.com).

Hope this helps ya
Paul Vandervort
MVPA 437