M38 Oil Leak

From: Chuck Gumbert (cgumbert@cox.net)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 11:02:01 PDT

I am finishing off my M38 restoration and finally got the engine running
(with oil pressure) a couple of weeks ago.

Now I've got a rather large oil leak out of the hole in the bottom of
the bell housing. I ran dye in the oil and it confirms it's oil and not
tranny fluid. After a 5 mile trip it will drip a spot on the drip pan
about the size of a dinner plate in 15-20 minutes.

I overhauled the engine and had the local machine shop grind the crank
and cam shaft, bored the cylinders and machined the block and head.
 They also did a complete valve job. I've changed the rear main seal
twice since the overhaul, but to no avail.

Any thoughts? Are there differences in rear main seals? Is any one
type better than the other?

Anyone had a leak at the back of the camshaft?

Thanks for the help.

Chuck