M-1009 problem

From: Jim Zehr (jeeperjim@cox-internet.com)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 19:42:01 PDT

Hello MVers,

I have a M1009 CUCV that I have been driving since Nov '95. The other day
it started making a fluttering metalic noise when in gear and adding a lot
of power. It only does it in gear and it is intermittent at this time. It
is not the engine..pop it in neutral and the noise goes away regardless of
power application while coasting.
The tranny fluid is still red but smells burned.
Any ideas anybody? It does have the original THM400 transmission still
installed with about 120,000 miles currently.
If it is the tranny does anybody have a reasonably priced replacement?
Thanks,

Jim ( jeeperjim@cox-internet.com )
'84 M1009
'54 M105A2