Re: [MV] M151A2 Steering wheel removal

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 00:20:45 PDT

Giggle snort...
1. Goldleaf it and park it in the South Bronx. It'll be off so fast the vacuum will suck your pants off.
2. Attach 75 feet of strong rope to the spokes, toss it out the back, and pull up in front of a bus on the freeway. The idea is to get him to step on the rope with his front wheels.
3. Fill out a DA form 1-172-SWR, application for steering wheel removal. Send it up through channels and in a few days a couple of big swarthy privates will arrive with a box containing a MK26 wheel remover kit. This kit contains the primary puller. It's like a huge rectagular clamp that attaches to the vehicle cowl, and a two man capstan screw that tightens against the front bumper. A few turns and pop goes the wheel! Well I think that was the noise I heard....
4. Soak the hub with Kroil or similar freeing agent for a few days, remove the nut, get two gorillas to put traction on the wheel rim evenly, and strike the SIDE OF THE HUB a few good licks with a big plastic faced hammer. This usually works better than a puller.
Good luck, especially with # 3.
I've seen shop made split washers made of hardwood, to keep from damaging the hub, which are backed up with a steel washer, with three pieces of all thread into a front puller plate, which has a central screw in it. You talk up some strain with it, then smack the center of the shaft smartly. This will free most hubs, but takes a bit of time to fabricate.
Have fun!
Jack, lurking as always