Re: [MV] WW2 jeep starter problem

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 06:27:26 PDT

Bjorn,
         I think the battery is trouble holding under load. I tested last
night. I put the voltmeter contacts on the + & - leads of the battery. It
read 6 volts. When I hit the starter petal, it dropped to around 4v, and
it dropped 1/10 volt per second as I held the petal down. I did the load
test Alex McPherson recommended: "To load test yourself, put your
multimeter across the battery terminals directly. Have someone hit the
start switch and if it drops below
4.5 Volts minimum then the battery has failed the load test."
         I've had the battery in it for a little over a year. I didn't
drive it much last winter & I haven't run it since May. I guess the
battery has some corrosion in it.