Re: [MV] M939 production #s

From: Ron (rojoha@attbi.com)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 07:17:10 PDT

FWIW, from a GAO report :
 "The most recently procured 5-ton vehicle in the existing medium fleet is
the M939A2, manufactured by BMY in Marysville, Ohio. Approximately
23,700 of these vehicles were produced by 1993, on a 5-year production
contract awarded in May 1986, and 18,740 are currently in the Army's
inventory. Each truck has an estimated economic useful life of 22 years.
The M939A2 is the second modernization of the basic M939 vehicle and is
based on a vehicle originally designed in 1949. Over 16,000 M939 and
M939Al vehicles are currently in the Army's inventory. In terms of age, the
Army considers the M939 series of vehicles (the M939, M939A1, and
M939A2) to be modern. From 1989 to 1993, the Army acquired 18,740 M939A2
5-ton
trucks, which make up over one-fourth of the entire &ton fleet.

The M939 was initially procured in 1981 to improve the capabilities of the
medium fleet by adding an automatic transmission, improved power
steering system, complete airbrake system, improved cooling system,
improved electrical system, three-crew cab, tilt-hood, and a hydraulically
powered front winch. The M939A1, a modification of the original M939,
added super-single radial tires. This version was acquired beginning in FY
1986.
The M939A2 trucks have a central tire inflation system, a new diesel
engine, and chemical agent resistant coating. BMY produced six body
styles of the M939A2 for the Army. These body styles are cargo, long
wheelbase cargo, dump, tractor, expansible van, and wrecker."
Ronzo