Re: [MV] Pinzgauer SWISS Military on E-bay

From: J. Lee (milveh@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 07:53:50 PDT

Steve, with all due respect and in the spirit of a good difference of
opinion:

What does an engine cost for a Pinz and where do you get one? And how much
does it cost to import one? I actually would like know, my guess is it's
probably pretty expensive and hard too find.

Have you seen the internal works of the Pinz uni-transmission/rear end
thing? Wow, what a mechanics nightmare, but it is well engineered to be
tough, no doubt about it. Just need a PHD in mechanics to overhaul one and
what shop would even attempt it?

This is the anxiety factor I was talking about. Not saying the Pinz isn't a
fine vehicle, but the Valp outsells them for a reason and my stress level in
being a Valp owner is a lot lower knowing most parts are cheap and
available. For instance Volvo engines at the wrecking yard go for about
$150-250... can't recall seeing too many Pinz engines at the local
wreckers.... at any price. I'll take my (Model A simple) Valp for price,
performance, reliability and repairability anytime over the exotic
(Ferrari-like) Pinz.

Jack