RE: [MV] generator reccomendation question

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 18:45:18 PDT

'Cause I did it on two of my gensets! I guess I
didn't learn on the first one.

Now, if you put MOV's(Molybdenum Oxide Varistors)
acrossed the two hots, and from each hot to ground
they may dissipate some of the spike IF they operate
fast enough. The problem with those, though, is that
they degrade every time they operate and their failure
mode is usually flames!!

I'm not sure if a 1:1 transformer would work in this
case or not, it may still not reduce the back EMF
enough to keep from blowing the diodes. The diodes
are a pain to find and a pain to change, ... not
impossible, just a pain.

Now that I think about it, they weren't easy to even
find on the genset. They aren't even mentioned in the
manual, only a small drawing on the schematic, easily
missed. I had to grind off the rounded edge on my
7/16" socket to get it to grab the nut on the diodes.
There are six in the 10 Kw genset and three in the 5
Kw set.

Joe