Re: [MV] German automotive cabling codes

From: Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Date: Fri Aug 09 2002 - 14:16:19 PDT

"Renaud OLGIATI " schrieb:

> All German car electrical equipment have on every connector or terminal a
> code hat indicate what circuit the apparatus belongs to: like (from memory)
> 56a and 56b for the high and low beam headlight circuits, 31 for the earth
> circuit or 58 for the side-lights.
>
> Anyone know where I could find a complete list of the codes and their
> assignation ?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ron.

Have a look at the German standard DIN 72 552 Klemmenbezeichnungen.

These numbers do not indicate the circiut or the wire, they indicate the
terminal.

Here some samples from the list:

1: Ignition coil and distributor, low voltage
4: Ignition coil and distributor, high voltage
15: Plus 12V (24V), only when ignition is switched "on"
30: Plus 12V (24V), permanent
31: Ground, direct to the battery
53: Windscreen wiper
54: Brake light
56a: Headlight, full
56b: Headlight, dipped
58: Side marker lamps
58L: Tail light left
58R: Tail light right
61: Battery charge indicator lamp
B+: Battery +
B-: Battery -
D+: Generator +
D-: Generator -
DF: Generator field coil
L: Indicators left
R: Indicators right

Please note: This is the modern nomenclature. In WW2 the numbers were slightly
different!

Hope this helps.

Best regards from the banks of the "river" Oker
Andreas