Re: [MV] For what it is worth

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 19:11:17 PDT

> The DRMO sold a deuce on a local sale at Ft Stewart a few years ago and
guy
> from around Miami (Not Ken) drove up in a small truck and after he bought
> it, had the DRMO load the little truck in back of the deuce and started
out
> the gate where he then ran of of fuel. Wayne
>

> >For what it is worth, when I picked up my deuce I planned to pull my Jeep
> >wrangler with a tow bar behind the deuce. I put a ring on my tow bar
and
> >thought I was good to go. When I tried to hook up the tow bar I
discovered
> >the military hitch is frick'n huge. My ring would not go over it. We
then
> >loaded the jeep in the back at a loading dock and off I went. Unloading
> >was
> >a different story but I've taken enough of everyone's time. I can't
> >usually
> >find a victim to go on my adventures with me.
> >
> >Joe Trapp

I wanted to pull my jeep in case I needed to leave the deuce and go get
something - fuel, water, parts and so forth. I almost took a grinder and
"reduced" the size of the hitch but I decided to chance it. As for the
unloading, (someone dared to ask) I backed the truck up to a pile of dirt at
my family's land fill (we dump brush and soil in this one). I flattened out
a little spot so the jeep wheels would have something to drive on. It was
about 20 loads of dirt piled in this spot and that's not a good surface to
drive over. I backed the jeep off, pulled the truck forward and decided to
just pull the jeep forward. Bad move. I thought the dirt would give way
and the jeep would slide to the ground but when I flatted it with the
track-hoe it packed it pretty good. I pulled forward and the jeep came to
rest on the cross member. I thought about yanking it with the track-hoe but
realized that could rip something out from under it. I used a shovel (not
sure what the military term for that is) to dig until the front wheels moved
the 2 feet to the ground. It pays to take your time and not get too excited
when you get a new toy home. Left the jeep there and went to show my NEW
truck to the neighbors.

As a side note I just returned from shooting skeets at above land fill (the
dump). Stood in the ring mount with shotgun and popped a few rounds off.
My family thinks I need help.

Joe Trapp