deuce engines.

From: Bill & Bonnie Prestin (Bprestin@tir.com)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 20:41:49 PDT

Hello,
    I have a deuce (M35 series) that may need a new engine. I am trying to
figure out what my options are.What engines fit in this truck? I know there
are the six cylinder gas engine versions, & The LD427, & LD & LDT 465's Are
there any other engines that would fit and match up with the original
transmission. I hesitate to try to swap transmissions because I am already
utilizing both ends of my double ended transmission PTO. Everything is a
pretty tight fit under there and it would be tricky to try to move that PTO.
    If The Multifuel engines are also used in the 5 ton trucks, could the
other engines that are used in the 5 tons be used in the deuce. (I think
there is a Mack and Cummins used in the 5 ton trucks) What Models are those?
How much do they weigh? Could I squeeze one in if I moved the radiator?
Would the transmission and rear engine mounts line up?
    Also How much would I gain to just go with the 5 ton multifuel engine?
Is that engine rated for a higher RPM (for more speed) or do you just gain
horse power? How good are the government rebuilt engines? Are there any NOS
engines out there? I havent heard of any, but I am looking around to see
what is available before I make a choice.

Thanks for any advice,

Bill Prestin
bprestin@tir.com
M342 & M51