High performance M151A2 modificatons

From: John Cook (otterc@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 07:42:18 PDT

Hi listers,
 I recently did an number of engine modifications to my M151A2 to improve
engine power and drivability, they include adapting the air cleaner assembly
to use a K&N free flow filter, using civilian spark plug adapters and
modified Bosch platinum 4 sparkplugs
 and installing a highly modified ported head ,custom header and modified
muffler.
  These mods. greatly improved the drivability and my enjoyment of my daily
driver Mutt! I did a step but step article and full before and after
performance report on my website for those of you who may be interested ,
http://www.muttmotorpool.com/StageoneMOD.html
  Most Mutt enthusiast choose to restore their M151's to original specs and
I have a early 1962 M151 that I am restoring to be as close to the way it
was when it rolled off the factory line as I can make it. I would never
modify such an early historic example of the M151 family!!! but I love to
drive my M151A2 on and off road and these engine mods. make it even more
fun. With the greatly improved acceleration and engine power the M151A2 is a
vehicle that would be down right deadly with the wrong person behind the
wheel and I am very careful to use the extra power wisely.
  The Mutt is such a fine off road vehicle that I just had to see what it
would be like with the extra power and the modifications are only apparent
if you look closely at the engine, From the outside it looks totally stock.
  Some of you I'm sure will think its sacrilege to modify a good example of
an uncut M151A2 in this manner, but all mods are easily undone if I or any
future owner wants it to be stock again.
  I just want to have more Fun with my Mutts , that's what this hobby is all
about in my opinion.....FUN!
 It seems to me there are two kind of M151 owners, folks that restore for
show, history and glory and those who really get out and drive them, on and
off road. Call me a split personality if you like but I love both sides of
the hobby.
  Just thought I would let ya'll know my opinions on these matters and
hopefully open a discussion about it all,
  thanks for all past present and future help ya'll have given me,
   More fun with MUTTS
   John Cook
   KD5SJE
   www.muttmotorpool.com