Re: [MV] Historical Vehicle Plates in Calif.

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 18:20:36 PDT

I suggest calling the DMV at local offices and in Sacto a dozen times. I
went through this recently with them: every answer I received was
different. I had estimates from DMV personnel ranging from $160 to over
$2000 to get the deuce I bought up to date ( had not been registered for
two years ). Final actual tab was under $150.
If you're a member of CSAA you might try calling them: they may have a
'rules' expert on staff who might be able to help.

It makes no sense saying it has to be registered for a year as commercial
before becoming a historical vehicle. But then this does show our tax
dollars hard at work. One thought I've seen posted here a lot: try
outlying 'farm' type towns to check with. They usually are less hurried,
more likely to have run across a vehicle which doesn't fit the rules and
thus won't faint when you ask them to do this. <g>

Good Luck

        Paul
        '53 REO M5 Fire Conversion
        '53 AEC Chevy 3/4 Ton